In 2016 we were excited to celebrate 2 years of providing fresh, local and trusted brands to Downtown Rochester. In celebration of a great year here at Hart’s, we thought we would take a look back at 10 things we were most excited about:
1. Development in the East End. This past year East Avenue was closed from March to July and has now reopened, bringing 2-way traffic on Union for the first time in 50 years! But, the inner loop wasn’t the only thing under construction. Both Charlotte Square and Tower 280 opened downtown and we were excited to partner with them to offer move-in baskets for their residents.
2. Neighbors. New businesses, like Ugly Duck Coffee, opened in the East End and a handful of them opened right above our store: Hana Pilates & Bodyworks, Architectura P.C., Young & Wright Architectural/Dwyer Architectural, Born+Collective, and a beautiful, industrial chic event space called The Arbor Loft.
3. Easier parking. 1-hour parking spots were in high demand, so we added more in 2016!
4. More vegan options throughout the store and now on the cafe menu. It’s no secret that the most popular item on our cafe menu is our Signature Breakfast Sandwich. Our menu may change seasonally, but you can always count on our breakfast sandwich to remain the same- with one small exception, that is! In 2016 we added the option to make our Signature Breakfast Sandwich vegan. Which brings us to number 4…
5. Your love of our Signature Breakfast Sandwich. In 2016 our breakfast sandwich was mentioned in the Democrat and Chronicle, The Merrythought, Sir Rocha Says, University of Rochester’s Graduate Housing blog, lots of Yelp reviews (p.s. we also made their 2016 top 100 places to eat in Rochester list), and many, many social media mentions. Thank you!
6. New Soup Bar. Soup. Every. Day. Each day we have two soups available on our new soup bar, year-round. We offer vegan and GF soups on a regular basis, too! (p.s. By the way, in addition to our daily soups, we often have fresh chili in the cafe!)
7. Giveaways. In 2016 we gave away a Labor Day Picnic for 12 and an Autumn Harvest Party for 10! We had so much fun giving away these parties that we’ve decided to do it again in 2017. Stay tuned because in the next few weeks we’ll be announcing our next giveaway- a Superbowl Party!
8. First ever Hart’s Fest. This summer we threw a cookout, an extra-special outdoor event that compliments our vendor markets we hold throughout the year. These events have been so successful, that we have even more coming your way in 2017- so stay tuned!
9. New Partnerships. This year we partnered with local businesses in many ways:
- We brought in food items from Momma K’s, Ridge Donuts, Laughing Gull Chocolates and East Hill Creamery
- We made composting easier by giving you the opportunity to pick up your Community Composting compost bin right at our store
- With the help of Writers and Books and Open Letter Books, we made books for their “Read Local” series available at Hart’s
- Over the summer, we partnered with the Rochester Public Market to help promote their new, free shuttle service from the East End Garage to the Rochester Public Market each Saturday
- We worked with local bloggers The Pastiche and Home.Style.Heart to give you new decor and gift ideas around the holiday’s
- We brought in new, local retail items for purchase like Pet #ROC’s and wrapping paper from MyDarndest
10. Fundraising. In 2016 we partnered with Foodlink, Community Place and 540WMain to help them fundraise. We also We’re excited to continue our fundraising efforts in 2017 with local non-profits in need.
We can’t wait to tell you about what we have planned for 2017 but in the meantime, we would love to hear what you would like to see new at Hart’s in the New Year! Leave a comment below or stop in and add a note to our comment board, available right in our cafe.